Sunday, December 9, 2012

Mammoth Cave Trip

In June we went on our 2nd annual trip with friends. This consists of our good friends the Hearns and their friends and family. Last year we went to Stone Mountain, GA and this year we went to Mammoth Cave, KY. We ended up going to KY twice this year, the second time was with Craig for his job. We got to visit Cincinnati, OH and the little towns of Greendale and Lawrenceburg, IN, as well as Erlanger, KY. I can't find any pics of our 2nd trip although I do know that I took photos. Here are some pics of our KY trip with friends. For some crazy reason, I had no camera, and thus relied on the kindness of Marni to email me some of her photos.









For these vacations, we all bring our RVs. This trip we camped at Yogi Bear's family campground just outside of the cave. The weather was scorching hot, so we cooled off often in the pool. Nearby we found antiques and a fun park where we could drive little race cars, crash each other with bumper card, jump on tramps, take a ski lift up the side of a small mountain, etc. I took my 3 kids (this includes Tayler Hearn, my "adopted" child) to some on-site activities such as tie-dying shirts. Luckily I found 2 white shirts we already had for the boys to use. I ended up doing all the work though, no big deal, it was easy and fun. Each family provided a big dinner each night, and we had Smore's. The food we eat when we geat together is phenomenal. We provided a low country shrimp boil (my favorite dinner ever!)

When we got to the cave ticket windows and saw just how much they charged for their numerous tours, we all opted for the cheapest one and the shortest one to appease the small kids: the self-guided tour. With sweat rolling down our backs, we started our walk to the cave entrance, when suddenly one feels the breeze from the cave entrance. Wow, what a difference in temp. It didn't even feel chilly inside, just heavenly. After the cave we walked down to the river. Chase and Tayler found a dying bat on the ground, I felt so bad for it, but had no idea what to do other than to tell a park ranger on our return walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...