Monday, December 13, 2010

Sentimental Value


 This is a picture of my dresser. I have had this dresser since I was a kid. My parents bought it and one more for my older sister at a thrift store in Utah. The dressers came from a hotel in Las Vegas that was remodeling. They had been spray painted orange and a mustard yellow veneer was placed on top. As kids, Genise and I used to put stickers all over our dressers, Million dollar man, Bionic Man, Wonder Woman, etc. Back in 1999 I decided to strip mine down and refurbish it back to original. I started in my dad's garage and got some done. Then I moved to West Jordan and didn't have access to a sander for a long time. When I sold my house in 2002 to move to GA; I was moving out and had furniture on the lawn in preparation to load it into a truck. The agent who sold my home was there and she came over and offered me $100 bucks for my half -sanded orange dresser. Needless to say, I declined her offer. After all, this was MY childhood dresser and had too much sentimental value to ever sell it. Well, fast forward 4 years.

There is a stamp branded on the inside one of the drawers that says Heywood-Wakefield on it. Curiosity finally got the best of me and I googled it. Low and behold the dresser was worth about $1800 if refinished back to original. The dresser was made between the years of 1949 and 1951. It even has a name: Kohinoor Mr. and Mrs.dresser. It is an all wood piece made of Birch. It is mid-century modern and very retro. No wonder I have always loved it. There is also an entire bedroom suite that matches it perfectly.

My beloved dresser had been relegated to the basement and garage by Craig, imagine that? It's also been moved around a lot! I finally got sick and tired of not being able to use it. I had sanded a lot more of it down when we lived in Alabama, but not completely. So last month I pulled out the sander and got all the rest of the spray paint off. Then my hubby sealed it for me and my kids are able to use it in their bedroom. I am so pleased with the results. Now, I can't say what the monetary value of my personal dresser is now, but I think of it as a MasterCard commercial; PRICELESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...